Note: Please visit our Manual of Style to see the accurate layout for this article.
Anne Shirley-Cuthbert is the titular protagonist of Anne. She is the orphaned daughter of Walter and Bertha Shirley, and the adoptive daughter of Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert. She is portrayed by Amybeth McNulty.
After an abusive childhood spent in orphanages and working in the homes of strangers, 13-year-old Anne Shirley is a remarkably resilient girl with a unique spirit, fierce intellect and brilliant imagination. She is played by Amybeth McNulty. 
Anne spent the majority of her childhood bouncing between living in an orphanage with girls who would bully her, and different homes where she would work. The various homes had terrible conditions for her, including mental and physical abuse. Anne's first real home became Green Gables, which was also the first place to treat her kindly. However, she still suffers from PTSD from the events that happened in her old home causing her to blank out in moments.
Appearance and Personality
Anne has red hair commonly referred to as ugly by both herself and people harassing her, that she keeps in two braids. After a failed attempt to dye her hair black using a blue laundry stripper, her hair turned into a shade of green. Because of that, Anne has to cut her hair very short, ending up with a pixie cut. This later grows out to a bob. Pale skin, with lots of freckles; she's shown to be skinny, and has bright blue eyes.
Anne is talkative and has an extensive vocabulary as well as imagination. She likes to write and tell stories. Anne often has small panic attacks when she is triggered by traumatic moments in her life, due to the extensive abuse and mistreatment she received at the hands of her foster parents and at the orphanage. She desires to have friends and be well-liked, and succeeds in this with Diana, Ruby, and Cole.
- Season 1
- Season 2
- Ep. 1: "Youth is the Season of Hope"
- Ep. 2: "Signs are Small Measurable Things, but Interpretations are Illimitable"
- Ep. 3: "The True Seeing is Within"
- Ep. 4: "The Painful Eagerness of Unfed Hope"
- Ep. 5: "The Determining Acts of Her Life"
- Ep. 6: "I Protest Against Any Absolute Conclusion"
- Ep. 7: "Memory Has as Many Moods as The Temper"
- Ep. 8: "Struggling Against the Perception of Facts"
- Ep. 9: "What We Have Been Makes Us What We Are"
- Ep. 10: "The Growing Good of the World"
- Season 3
- Ep. 1: A Secret Which I Desired to Divine
- Ep. 2: "There is Something at Work in My Soul Which I Do Not Understand"
- Ep. 3: "What Can Stop the Determined Heart"
- Ep. 4: "A Hope of Meeting You in Another World"
- Ep. 5: "I Am Fearless and Therefore Powerful"
- Ep. 6: "The Summit of My Desires"
- Ep. 7: "A Strong Effort of the Spirit of Good"
- Ep. 8: "Great and Sudden Change"
- Ep. 9: "A Dense and Frightful Darkness"
- Ep. 10: "The Better Feeling of My Heart"